A Community School
What is a Community School:
Using public schools as hubs, community schools bring together many partners to offer a range of supports and opportunities to children, youth, families and communities. Partners work to achieve a set of results through an integrated focus on academics, health and social services, youth and community development and community engagement.
Shared vision and accountability for results.
- A clear, mutually agreed-upon vision focused on results drives the work of community schools. Agreements enable partners to hold each other accountable and move beyond "turf battles."
- Partners share resources and expertise and collaborate to design community schools and make them work.
High expectations for all.
- Community schools are organized to support learning.
- Children, youth, and adults are expected to learn to a high standard and to become contributing members of their community.
- Community schools marshal the assets of the entire community, including the people who live and work there, local organizations, and the school.
Respect for diversity.
- Community schools know their communities.
- They develop respect and a strong, positive identity for people of diverse backgrounds and are committed to the welfare of the whole community.
Local decision making.
- To unleash the power of local communities, local leaders make decisions about their community schools strategy while people in individual schools respond to their unique circumstances.
Community schools are focused on results. Community schools coordinate partners to achieve a core set of results. While results will vary from school-to-school and community-to-community, results typically include:
- Children are ready to enter school.
- Students attend school consistently.
- Students are actively involved in learning and their community.
- Schools are engaged with families and community.
- Families are actively involved in their children’s education.
- Students succeed academically.
- Students are healthy: physically, socially and emotionally.
- Students live and learn in stable and supportive environments.
- Communities are desirable places to live.
For More Information, please visit, The Coalition for Community school site at :http://www.communityschools.org/aboutschools/what_is_a_community_school.aspx